All about doing your doctorate
Do you have questions about doctoral studies? Do not hesitate to contact the Hamburg Research Academy if you are pursuing a doctorate at a member institution. We offer individual advising sessions, refer you to suitable events and put you in touch with other contacts and service providers in Hamburg. We can help you with the following or similar matters:
Complete your doctorate successfully
- I have questions about organization and administration during my doctorate.
- While doing my doctoral work, how can I gain further qualifications (e.g., academic writing, presentation, or publishing skills)?
- I’m looking for support with issues such as finishing my degree, dealing with anxiety, or handling conflicts.
- How do I properly handle research findings? Who owns these and what can I do in case of conflict?
- What support services are available if I am pursuing a doctorate and have a family?
- How can I finance my doctoral studies?
- What scholarships or grant programs are available?
- What costs do I have to consider if I pursue a doctorate in Hamburg?
- What networking opportunities does Hamburg offer doctoral researchers?
- How can doctoral researchers support each other?
- What opportunities are there to go abroad during my doctoral studies?
- Where can I find funding opportunities or programs for travel to conferences, workshops, or summer schools?
- Is a cotutelle program right for me?
- When is the best time to go abroad?
- What should I consider when planning to go abroad?
New to Hamburg
- What services does the HRA offer specifically for international doctoral researchers?
- Which server providers lend support to international researchers (e.g., with their residence permit, family concerns, or employment for spouses)?
- What networking opportunities does the HRA offer and how do I establish contact with other researchers?
- How can I get started in science communication?
- Where do I find support for my projects/ideas?
- I would like to get in contact with other researchers active in science communication.
Statement of purpose
We are committed to confidentiality, reliability, and responsibility. This means that we ensure confidentiality in all of our advising sessions while also expecting the researchers we advise to honor agreements and take responsibility for their personal situation.
Please use our contact form for enquiries. We will get back to you as soon as possible.