Keeping sight of your professional development and the next steps in your career is crucial already during your doctoral studies. The higher education institutions in Hamburg can help you hone your professional skills and acquire key competencies to prepare you for a career in university research and beyond, in academic management, industry, or society. You will receive professional support for your individual career planning and qualification strategy in workshops, interactive sessions, and career counseling.
Support for careers within and outside academia
- HR Development offers doctoral students Universität Hamburg (UHH) a program tailored to many of the questions that arise during this career phase: Compass – Career Development Program for Young Researchers (in German only) includes workshops, interactive formats, and career advising. Compass breaks the process down into a series of steps:
- Getting settled – successful working practices (e.g. training on leading project)
- Orientation – career prospects (e.g. career workshops for postdoc)
- Moving forward—strategic career planning (e.g. appointment training)
For more information on additional interdisciplinary qualifications in English and German, please contact your faculty, department, graduate school, or collaborative research center.
- The doctoral studies office (in German only) at Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW) organizes regular workshops and events on academic practices (goal and time management for doctoral students) and on preparation for the oral defense (individual oral defense and viva training). The doctoral studies office supports you in initiating and carrying out doctoral studies in cooperation with higher education institutions in Germany and abroad and accompanies these cooperative doctorates even beyond graduation.
- The Graduate Academy for Technology and Innovation at Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH) hosts a series of workshops and training courses. They are offered in German and English.
- The Promotionskolleg (in German only) at HafenCity University Hamburg (HCU) holds regular workshops for postdoctoral researchers on applying for external funding, the main funding institutions (federal ministries, DFG, EU, foundations), and international research mobility.
- Pro Exzellenzia offers leadership workshops and events for highly-qualified women. The workshops are intended for female graduates of Hamburg higher education institutions in the areas of mathematics, informatics, the natural sciences, technology, art, music, architecture, and the humanities who have their primary residence in Hamburg.
Mentoring and coaching
The higher education institutions in Hamburg offer doctoral students a variety of mentoring and coaching concepts.
Higher education training
Professional support for further qualifying teachers is available at Hamburg’s higher education institutions.
The Hamburg Center for University Teaching and Learning (HUL) (all links in German only) at Universität Hamburg (UHH) offers practical workshops and certificate courses.
The Studies & Didactics Office (in German only) at Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW) is devoted to higher education teaching. It has developed a skills-based learning and evaluation (KOM) (in German only) concept along with related workshops.
Further training opportunities
Would you like to gain further qualifications above and beyond your research work and to develop your knowledge in areas such as employment law, business administration, or change management?
Besides trans-disciplinary qualification programs for young researchers, Hamburg’s higher education institutions also offer countless programs for comprehensive professional training. Generally, fees and registration are required for these courses. Please take note of the conditions of the course providers. For an overview of the courses offered at all higher education institutions in Hamburg listed by topic, please see the WissWB portal (in German only) for further academic qualification.
Starting a business
Do you have an innovative idea and want to set up a scalable business model as a young researcher? The start-up scene is booming and offers excellent career prospects. You can approach various institutions specializing in academic research to make your start-up idea a reality.
- The platform beyourpilot is the central access for potential founders of all Universities in Hamburg. Here you will find access to a broad consultancy network of the Universities and find information on financing opportunities for your knowledge-based and innovative start-up project as well as on events for potential founders and start-ups.
- Startup Dock (in German only) is the Start-up Unit of the Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), which is partially open for students of other Universities. If you want to realize a technology-based idea, you will receive professional advice and training offers here to help further your entrepreneurial thinking and activities.
- Hamburg Innovation (HI) (in German only) offers advising and coaching in the fields of technology and services specifically for graduates and university staff. HI cooperates with the start-up units of all universities in Hamburg
- EXIST is a funding program of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi). Besides reliable information on setting up a business, the EXIST start-up grants in particular may be of interest. If you are interested, please contact the start-up unit of your university.
- Hamburg’s H.E.I. start-up initiative (in German only) offers free advising and events for all sectors on starting a business in Hamburg.
- The Start-Up Service (in German only) at Universität Hamburg (UHH) provides preliminary advice and links to start-up funding options.