As a postdoctoral researcher or junior professor, you are now at the stage in your career when you will prepare for your professorship. A great deal will be expected of you. For example, you will have to:
- Develop your (research) profile
- Apply for external research funding
- Work as a lecturer and supervisor
- Assume personnel responsibilities
Training or advising can provide orientation on the path to a professorship. Support is also available to help you apply for external funding or to improve your teaching, presentation, publication, or leadership skills.
Are you a doctoral and early career researcher interested in entering a profession outside academia and obtaining further qualifications?
Hamburg's higher education institutions offer a variety of opportunities for further qualifications during this decisive phase to help you prepare for a career within or outside academia.
Individual support for careers within and outside academia
- The Hamburg Research Academy aims to provide effective career support to final-year doctoral and postdoctoral researchers at all career stages. It has developed 4 career development programs, which enable participants from all subjects and member universities to attend exclusive workshops and work together over the course of several months:
- Program 1: Doctorate Done—What Now? Planning and Starting a Career
- Program 2: Navigating successfully in Academia for Experienced Postdocs, Early Research Group Leaders and Junior Professors
- Program 3: Take-Off—Strategies for Starting a Non-Academic Career
- Program 4: Future Leaders in Academia—On Track for a Professorship
With the career development cycle, the HR development department of Universität Hamburg (UHH) helps you clarify your goals, plan how you mean to achieve these, further yourself, and advance in your career. The career development cycle comprises five areas:
- Reflect – Clarify your personal interests, values, skills, and motivation.
- Explore – Explore fields of activity and familiarize yourself with new areas.
- Define – Define your professional goals and plan the next steps.
- Qualify – Refresh and expand your knowledge and skills.
- Implement – Work towards achieving your goals and apply all you have learned.
- For junior professors and early career research group leader, HR of Universität Hamburg (UHH) offers a format fitted for this career phase: Rückenwind (in German only) focusses on close support and on furthering your invidividual career perspectives, which you can develop through talks, coachings, courses, workshops and colloquia with experts.
For more information on additional interdisciplinary qualifications in English and German, please contact your faculty, department, graduate school, or collaborative research center (SFB).
- The Graduate Academy for Technology and Innovation at Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH) hosts a series of workshops and training courses. They are offered in German and English.
- The Promotionskolleg (in German only) at HafenCity University Hamburg (HCU) holds regular workshops for postdoctoral researchers on applying for external funding, the main funding institutions (federal ministries, DFG, EU, foundations), and international research mobility.
Pro Exzellenzia offers leadership workshops and events for highly-qualified women. The workshops are intended for female graduates of Hamburg higher education institutions in the areas of mathematics, informatics, the natural sciences, technology, art, music, architecture, and the humanities who have their primary residence in Hamburg.
Mentoring und Coaching
Hamburg’s higher education institutions offer a variety of mentoring and coaching concepts for postdoctoral researchers, habilitation researchers, junior professors, and junior research group leaders.
- The career development programs of the Hamburg Research Academy include peer mentoring and group coaching as well as exclusive workshops.
- HR development at Universität Hamburg (UHH):
- Mentoring for postdoctoral researchers and habilitation researchers pursuing an academic career and seeking support with external funding acquisition
- Mentoring for postdoctoral researchers and habilitation researchers pursuing a career outside academia
- Mentoring for junior professors and junior research group leaders preparing for a tenure track or professorship
- Pro Exzellenzia (in German only) is geared towards highly qualified women in leadership positions.
Further training opportunities
Would you like to gain further qualifications above and beyond your research work and to develop your knowledge in areas such as employment law, business administration, or change management?
Besides trans-disciplinary qualification programs for young researchers, Hamburg’s higher education institutions also offer countless programs for comprehensive professional training. Generally, fees and registration are required for these courses. Please take note of the conditions of the course providers. For an overview of the courses offered at all higher education institutions in Hamburg listed by topic, please see the WissWB portal (in German only) for further academic qualification.
Higher education training
Professional support for further qualifying teachers is available at Hamburg’s higher education institutions.
The Hamburg Center for University Teaching and Learning (HUL) (in German only) at Universität Hamburg (UHH) offers practical workshops and certificate courses.
The Studies & Didactics Office (in German only) at Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW) is devoted to higher education teaching. It has developed a skills-based learning and evaluation (KOM) (in German only) concept along with related workshops.
Starting a business
Do you have an innovative idea and want to set up a scalable business model as a young researcher? The start-up scene is booming and offers excellent career prospects. You can approach various institutions specializing in academic research to make your start-up idea a reality.
- Startup Dock (in German only) is a cross-university incubator that was originally established at the Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH). If you want to realize a technology-based idea, you will receive professional advice and training offers here to help further your entrepreneurial thinking and activities.
- Hamburg Innovation (in German only) offers advising and coaching in the fields of technology and services specifically for graduates and university staff. Hamburg Innovation cooperates with the Startup Dock.
- Exist is a funding program of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi). Besides reliable information on setting up a business, the Exist start-up grants in particular may be of interest.
- Hamburg’s H.E.I. start-up initiative (in German only) offers free advising and events for all sectors on starting a business in Hamburg.
The Start-Up Service (in German only) at Universität Hamburg (UHH) provides preliminary advice and links to start-up funding options.